Friday, November 11, 2011

Sad... But Funny

As Gail continues to grow, some interesting personality starts to show, like how sometimes she scrunches up her face when she gets excited. The most fascinating thing to me, however, is the noises that startle and frighten her.  I hope I'm not a bad person because I sometimes laugh when I don't understand Gail, but the truth is, I do laugh, and sometimes even when she's crying (as I try to comfort her). So you can be sad for her or laugh with me, hear are some of her least favorite noises:

*The coffee grinder: At least once a week, I grind up coffee beans in the morning. We have a small grinder, so I grind three rounds of beans. And every time I push the button and the grinding starts, there are tears. From way across the kitchen. Sometimes she calms down quickly, sometimes it takes a minute or two after I'm done. I've considered trying to grind the coffee when she is asleep, but that requires me noticing that we will need more a day in advance, which is unlikely. So Gail continues to suffer.

*A noisy toy: Not all noisy toys, just some. And she doesn't seem to "adjust", either. The same toy results in the same tears. So we'll be careful to keep noises turned off until she's more able to cope.

*A voice on speakerphone: Yes, just yesterday I turned on speakerphone so Gail could talk, and she was immediately distraught. She does not react this way when I hold the phone up to her ear so she can talk, but apparently speakerphone is scary.

*And my favorite (because it's so random), ripping paper out of a notebook: She doesn't hear this often. But today, as I was feeding her lunch, I was cleaning out the pages of an old notebook that I didn't need anymore, and the sound of me tearing the paper from the spirals sent her into such distressed tears that she couldn't drink her bottle until I got her out of the high chair and cuddled her.

As we are fond of saying around our house, "Crazy baby!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.